Can a felon travel domestically and internationally?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a felon travel domestically and internationally?

I’m a legal resident and I had a felony on my record over 10 years ago due to purchasing a weapon. I would like to know if I leave the state will it affect me at re-entry?

Asked on February 21, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First of all, when traveling outside a U.S., a convicted criminal may have trouble gaining entry into their destination country. When entering another country, in addition to producing their passport, foreign travelers must also obtain a visa. If that country runs a background check as part of their visa issuing process, then a criminal record may prevent a felon from being granted entry. The safest thing is to inquire on a destination country’s visa issuing process before booking a trip. As for re-entry, you should have no proplem as felons are free to travel at will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption