can a family member file charges against another family member for cyber stalking or harassment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a family member file charges against another family member for cyber stalking or harassment?

A family feud that happened a few years ago, split the family up. My brother sends emails to my sister at her company email address because he is trying to get her fired from her job. Just nonsense emails, like weight loss or just saying hello, nothing threatening. The reason behind it is that he is trying to get her in trouble for receiving outside emails. She is an emotional mess over this. This has been going on for 2 years now. It stops for a few months and then starts up again. Can she file charges against him to get him to stop. She is already in therapy and is close to having a break down. I know she can’t afford a lawyer and I am trying to help as best as I can.

Asked on February 16, 2016 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can: there is no protection for a family member if he commits a crime (e.g. harassment; stalking) against another family member, and no legal bar against filing charges against a family member. In addition to filing charges, if she should suffer an economic loss (e.g. loses her job), she could also sue him for her losses (e.g for loss of income or lost wages).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption