Canmy employer terminate me for violating probation even though my probation period ended 30 days prior?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canmy employer terminate me for violating probation even though my probation period ended 30 days prior?

My probation period ended the 1st of last month. I understand in GA there’s at-will employment but I’m not sure about this termination. My termination happened on the 28th. My manager claimed I was being disrespectful which wasn’t true.

Asked on July 24, 2011 Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In an "at will" employment relationship an employer can pretty much do as they please with respect to imposing work requirements or with respect to the hiring/firing on an employee. The fact is that the excuse of probation wasn't necessary. An employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all. That is unless the employee has some legal protection afforded by an employment contract/union agreement or this action was be against company policy.  Also, if discrimination plays a factor, that too would establish certain legal employment rights.  Otherwise, termination under these conditions would be lawful. While seemingly unfair it is the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption