Can an employer put a 3 year freeze on my hourly wage and not others employees who do the same job as me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer put a 3 year freeze on my hourly wage and not others employees who do the same job as me?

A new company took over where I work. They noticed that the prior company had many different pay scales for employees. The prior company paid us from our experience with the job whether it was consecutive years or not the new company decides to pay for experience with consecutive years only. Therefore since my consecutive years were less than total overall years of experience the company decides to put me on a 3 year freeze from receiving any raises until I get the consecutive years and everyone else gets their raises.

Asked on April 1, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Does this action violate the terms of an employment contract or union agreement? Does it constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination? If not, then I'm afraid that you probably have no recourse here. Most work relationships are "at will", which means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes how much to pay a worker and why.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption