Can a dropped charge public arrest record of domestic violence be expunged?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a dropped charge public arrest record of domestic violence be expunged?

I was unfortunately charged with domestic battery on my teen daughter who I open handed slapped after she was coming at me cursing and in attack mode. My husband called the police and I was arrested because the police asked me to leave and I told him that I had no place to go. He then said well then “You are going to jail, put your hands behind your back”. I complied. My husband posted bond and subsequently dropped charges. The arrest record appears on the county court website even though charges were dropped. Can I have it removed?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since the charge against you concerning the domestic violence issue with your daughter was dismissed by the district attorney's office, there is nothing for you to get expunged since there was no conviction. Many people are charged with crimes but are not convicted.

Since you were not convicted, you having nothing to get expunged. You may want to consult with a criminal defense attorney about getting your filed "sealed" as an alternative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption