Can a debtor send my account to a “credit bureau” without notifying me first?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a debtor send my account to a “credit bureau” without notifying me first?

Asked on August 11, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I believe you mean, can a "creditor" send your unpaid account to a credit reporting agency without notifying your first? A "debtor" is one who owes an obligation to someone. A "creditor" is one who is owed an obligation.

A "creditor" can send an unpaid and overdue account information owed by a "debtor" to a credit reporting agency without first notifying the "debtor." Such reporting is typical within the debt collection agency business and is part of its custom and practice.

If you owe an obligation that has been reported to a credit reporting agency, the end result is that you have a negative mark on your credit report. If you can pay off the obligation in  monthly installments on an owed debt, that would be a good way on cleaning up your credit report assuming you cannot pay the obligation in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption