Can a debt collector take me to court even if I only missed one payment?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a debt collector take me to court even if I only missed one payment?

I owe just over $2000 in medical bills this debt collector. When they called they wanted over $100a month which I told them there was no way I could py due to other bills. i agreed that i might be able to pay $50maybe. she said that wouldn’t be enough but she would put it down they would be calling again in a month asking for more. i paid the fist month but had money issues the second. did pay the 3rd month but received a letter from their lawyer saying he was going to take me to court unless it was paid in full. I called to discuss the bill with the lawyer like it said I had to. He

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you missed a monthly payment to the creditor that you agreed to the creditor can file an action against you for the balance owed. Whether or that happens remains to be seen.

In the interim, I would continue making whatever payments you can to the creditor on a monthly basis. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption