Can a debt collector garnish my bank account?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a debt collector garnish my bank account?

If so, how can I make provisions so that won’t happen again? Should I get an attorney? My bank took money out of my account and send it to a debt collector. How is this possible?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your bank took money out of your account as an automatic garnishment pursuant to a judgment. You have a court judgment against you so at some point you were served with notice of a lawsuit and then wage garnishmemt or account garnishment.  I would suggest getting your credit report and see if it is on there. If so, have the creditor prove you were properly served and sued. You may be able to close the bank account but check with your bank. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption