Can a customer legally have a cash refund even though the store policy says they can’t?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a customer legally have a cash refund even though the store policy says they can’t?

Our store policy states that we do not give cash refunds but we only issue store credit and exchanges within 10 days of purchase. If customers are unsatisfied with their purchase, are they entitled to a cash refund if they don’t want store credit or exchange?

Asked on June 6, 2011 under General Practice, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, a store can set their own refund policies and as long as the policies are posted in a conspicuous place - like by the cash register and in the dressing rooms - then the purchaser technically enters in to an agreement with the store upon purchase of the item.   Unless there is a specific statute in your state that forbids the store from creating your own policy I think that your employer is well within his rights to limit how he refunds for returns.  You can check with your state attorney general's office to see if their consumer division is aware of the law. It is always good to know where you stand legally. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption