Can a credit collection service take money from my bank account without my approval?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a credit collection service take money from my bank account without my approval?

I had been trying to settle a bill with the county water dept. I had been calling them telling them how much to take out of my bank account. This time I talked to no one and they took the balance out without my approval. Is that legal? Can creditors just take money out of my bank account without warning me just because they have my card number?

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless a creditor of a person has an actual judgment or an authroization signed by the debtor allowing the withdrawal of money out of a bank account the creditor legally cannot get access to money in one's bank account.

In your situation, if there is a judgment against you stemming from a lawsuit, the judgment creditor can levy upon your bank account to get moneys to pay down the judgment. If there is no judgment against you, then getting money from your bank account does not seem warranted based upon what you have written. I suggest that you consult with a debt collection attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption