can a credit card sue estate and collect? What will happen if I do not pay credit card bill of deceased spouse? I

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a credit card sue estate and collect? What will happen if I do not pay credit card bill of deceased spouse? I

Is there a time frame after a will has been probated for creditors to come forward

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Estate Planning, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a credit card company can sue the estate.  If you don't pay the credit card bill of the deceased spouse, then there is a statute of limitations for the company to file suit or send to collections.  If sent to collections, just don't affirm the debt.  After a certain time period, the right to sue becomes null and void.  The executor of the estate should contact a probate attorney.  Try

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption