Can a credit card co. take money from your bank accts.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a credit card co. take money from your bank accts.

personal acct. with your s.s.# bussines acct. with federal id#

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It is difficult to answer your question without more specific information. In short the law usually applies as such: a creditor can freeze your bank account and remove the funds up to the amount of a judgment in many states. I do not know your states specific laws on this topic but assuming VA allows bank accounts to be frozen in order to do so the creditor must first have a valid judgment against you

If there is no judgment than they cannot do anything of that sort. If there is a judgment you should contact whomever it is with to try and set up a payment plan to ensure this does not happen

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption