Can a co-signer taketheir name off a lease for an apartment?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a co-signer taketheir name off a lease for an apartment?

My baby’s father and I got a place that his dad co-signed for. The day after I signed the lease and started moving he lost his job. He’s not even supposed to be living there and if I kick him out he’s telling me his dad will un-sign the lease. Can he do that and will I be evicted?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, his father may *not* remove himself as a cosignor of the lease, not without the permission of the other parties to the lease--that is, you, your baby's father, and, more importantly, the landlord, would all have to agree to allow him to remove himself as co-signor. If you do not, he may not remove himself. When this lease is up, he does not need to cosign the next lease if he does not want to, but that is a different matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption