Can a condo owner be charged thousands of dollars for repairs made to the grounds around the building?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a condo owner be charged thousands of dollars for repairs made to the grounds around the building?

If a condo owner pays their monthly fees can they be charged thousands of dollars to do repairs to the grounds around the complex?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a condominium owner who pays his or her monthly dues can be assessed additional monies by the association to cover repairs needing to be made to the grounds. The reason is that due to the economic down turn many homeowners have failed to pay their assessed fees and/or let their properties fall into foreclosure.

As a result, many reserves of various associations simply are not enough to cover required repairs mandating increased assessments to the homeowners.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption