Can a company withhold gas compensation for not having a car topper?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company withhold gas compensation for not having a car topper?

The company took the gas compensation and donated it without my consent because I drove around without a car topper.

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a contract with your employer which guarantees you gas compensation, it is purely discretionary or voluntary for the company to provide it--that is, the law does not make a company compensate employees for gas or fuel costs. Since it's voluntary for your employer to provide this compensation, they may take it away at will--and put any conditions they want on getting it (such as driving with a topper). And if they don't pay it to  you, they may do with it as they please, including donating it.

If you do have a contract requiring that you get gas compensation, then they have to honor the terms of the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption