Can a company send me to collections if I refuse to pay for magazines that I did not want?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company send me to collections if I refuse to pay for magazines that I did not want?

I had received a call a month ago saying I won a free gift card and gas card if I pay $1 shipping. I agreed and then they asked if I want to be subscribed to magazines for $24.90 and I said no. Now they are trying to get the money from me and I am refusing to pay because I did not agree to pay it in the first place. Are they going to send me to collections? They only know my name and my billing address. They do not know my current credit/debit card numbers.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This sounds like some type of scam.  In order for there to be a valid contract, there has to be a valid offer and acceptance.  Since you rejected the magazine offer, you do not have any contract or obligation to pay for the magazines.  If the company takes any legal action against you, you should sue for fraud.  You could file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.

You also might want to contact the Ohio Attorney General's office consumer fraud division.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption