Can a company not raise your pay for a title that is suppose to have a pay increase?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company not raise your pay for a title that is suppose to have a pay increase?

I work at hospital. The unit I was working on closed 4 months ago. They offered positions within the hospital and the position I am currently in is supposed to come with a 30-40% increase. as any new employee would be entitled to. My employer has stated they will not give the increase to any of the transferred employees.

Asked on February 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Does this action violate the terms of a union agreement or employment contract? If not, then you have no claim. In an "at will" employment relationship, an employer can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit, absent some form of legally actionable discrimination. And treating some employees less favorably than others (i.e. differing pay rates) is lnot against the law unless it is based on their race, religion, age (over 40), disability, national origin, etc., however that is not the case here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption