Can a city force me to move a vehicle they consider junk on my property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a city force me to move a vehicle they consider junk on my property?

Do i have any legal recourse in protecting my private property against what they
consider to be ‘a safety issue’? It seems very unconstitutional to me, and against
my basic rights as a human being to live, and exist as i deem fit.

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the location and/or condition of your car violates some city ordinance or law (i.e. are they citing an ordinance when they ask you to move it? if so, look up the ordinance online--does it seem to apply the way they way it does?) they can force you to move it. The government has broad authority (called "police powers") to pass and enforce laws affecting safety and quality of life. If the government (the city) has passed any ordinances which would require the removal of your car because it negatively impacts safety and/or quality of life, such ordinance is almost certainly legal and constitutional. While you can try to challenge it in court if you want, be advised that courts only very rarely strike down laws, even municipal ordinances. 
Remember, your "basic righs as a human being" are subject to many restrictions as it is: you can't build any home, etc. that violates zoning or building code; you can't drive without having insurance; you need to register a business you open; etc. There is again very broad governmental authority to regulate individual's lives for the common or public good.
If there is no ordinance, etc. which applies here, however, then the city should not be able to do this--they need some law giving them the authority.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption