Can a city force a business to change its address without consent of the business?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a city force a business to change its address without consent of the business?

The city sent a letter to a business (that has been in business for almost 18 years) that their address has been changed and that it needed to start making conversions to the new address. Is this legal?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The conversion is absolutely legal if it is done for the right purposes. Sometimes the 911 system is such that addresses (both business and residential addresses) must be changed to improve response time, tracking and mapping. You need to ask for something in writing by the city which answers your inquiry on why this is being done and to show the statutory or regulatory right to do so by the city. If it is for health, welfare and safety purposes, I think you will be required to change the address.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption