Can a child be taken from the mother if she was harboring a fugitive in the same household as the child?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a child be taken from the mother if she was harboring a fugitive in the same household as the child?

A young mother who has joint custody has been living with known felons and has recently let a man move in who has warrants out for his arrest. Her son has inter reacted with this man and he went to his fathers home with a burn across his face, a coincidence that this man cannot be around his own son due to burning his entire leg with liquid fire while making meth.

Asked on July 18, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is not an automatic removal, but this could be used as evidence that she is fit to have custody and that it is in the best interest of the child to place him in the custody of someone else (e.g. sole custody with his father; custody of his grandparents; etc.). Courts have the power to remove children from unsale environments. If a relative of the child wants to pursue this matter, he, she, or they should consult with a family law attorney about bringing the appropriate legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption