Can a business LLC formed in a U.S state conduct service internationally?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a business LLC formed in a U.S state conduct service internationally?

Can a CA or HI based business accept payment for a service that is

conducted in Mexico? In other words, can I sell a travel package on my HI based company’s website and then conduct the tour in another country? I am aware that business formation laws do vary from state to state but am curious about the process for operating a business in multiple countries.

Asked on June 12, 2018 under Business Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under U.S. law, you can provide services in, sell goods to, receive payments from, etc. another country or another country's citizens. Whether it is legal for you to do this under Mexican law is another story--it may well be, but you have to consult with a Mexican attorney (or a website answering questions about Mexican law) to see if you are in compliance with that nation's laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption