Can a bill collector sue a corporation if it has been dissolved for 2 years?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a bill collector sue a corporation if it has been dissolved for 2 years?

My corporation has dissolved but a bill collector has taken me and the corporation to small claims court (I personally guaranteed an open credit account). I claimed bankruptcy and am still under bankruptcy protection but he still sent a summons to me and the corporation. He now wants me to bring in all ledgers and records. The corporation did not claim bankruptcy. Can he do this? The business was closed 2 years ago.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the corporation was actually dissolved, there is nothing to sue...though if  it was just dormant, but still exists, you could be sued. You may wish to check to make sure it's been dissolved.

As to guaranteed the credit account, so you could certainly be sued but for the bankruptcy. If the debt predated the bankruptcy, so it would be covered by the bankruptcy, then you should be protected by the bankruptcy process, at least if you listed the creditor for the bankruptcy (if you did not list them, that might deny you protection). If the debt post-dated the bankruptcy, then the bankruptcy would likely not afford protection. You would be advised to consult with an attorney, specifically a bankruptcy attorney, if the amount is more than, say, $2,000 or so. For less than that, it may be best for you to try to handle the matter yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption