Can a barn owner take your things without notice?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a barn owner take your things without notice?

I recently had my horse boarded at a boarding facility but left due to some issues and i went back for my stuff and realized it was gone. I had about $700 worth of stuff. I have tried contacting them and they are not answering.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, the owner of a rental cannot quickly and unilaterally dispose of a person's property without giving proper notice of such an intent as well as to allow the owner of the property left behind an opportunity to retrieve his or her belongings.

From what you have written, it seems that the owner of the barn owes you the fair market value of the items that are now gone. I would write the owner seeking payment by a set date and if not paid by then, a small claims lawsuit seems in order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption