Can a bank deny you access to your funds for no reason?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a bank deny you access to your funds for no reason?

The bank has no way for me to gain access to my funds because I lost my debit card. They will not send me a new card for over a week and a half and will not provide another way for me to gain access to my money. I have no other cards or accounts and I have no money other than what is in my account. My bank however is telling me to bad. I need my money as soon as possible and need to know if what they are doing is not only unethical but illegal?

Asked on November 22, 2011 under General Practice, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you lost your debit card and you usually use the card to access your bank account, simply have a new debit card issued with a different account activation on it as well as a whole new personal identification number. That should solve the issue.

Another way to access your money is simply go to the bank in person and make a withdrawal from your account. A bank in this country cannot deny an owner of a bank account access to it for no reason. If you still have problems accessing money from your account, I suggest that you speak with the bank's manager about your situation in person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption