Can a 19 and a 15 year old date if the guardians of the 15 year old give consent to date?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 19 and a 15 year old date if the guardians of the 15 year old give consent to date?

Since the 19 year old is an adult, his/her parents couldn’t stop him/her from dating the 15 year old. As long as the minors guardians allow them to date (ie they give consent), can the 19 year old get arrested for like sexual assault or whatever charges would be applied to the situation?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Criminal Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you can date just about anybody.  However, the age to have sexual relations with a minor is dictated by law.  And no one can give their consent not to obey the law, not even guardians. In AK, to engage in sexual relations with someone under the age of 16 opens you up to criminal charge of sexual abuse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption