Can a 17 year old leave home legally

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 17 year old leave home legally

I just want a final answer, yes or no

Asked on April 27, 2017 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The age of adulthood, that is the "age of majority", in MI is 18. Until then you are legally under your parents' control.  In order to move out you would need their permission. If you leave without your parents' consent, they can then contact the police and have report you as a runaway, in which case the police will track you down and return you home.
That having been said, there is an exception if the minor becomes "emancipated". Emancipation is a legal process whereby a judge decides that you are old enough and mature enough to handle your own personal/financial matters and allows you to live on your own. An emancipation proceeding is begun by filing a petition in the district court of the county where you live. Here is a link to a site that will provide more information:
You will need to show that you have a job and can support yourself, that you have a place to live, and other requirements.
Read more: Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Follow us: @FreeAdviceNews on Twitter | freeadvice on Facebook

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption