Can a 16 year old girl leave her house without parent consent if she has a child?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 16 year old girl leave her house without parent consent if she has a child?

I am staying at my girlfriends house; we are both 16. Her mom is trying to control everything. I want to get an apartment, which my mother said I can, but her mom is telling her that she can’t until she is 18. Is there a loophole that allows my girlfriend to move out?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, New Hampshire


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well first congratulations.  You two have certainly had to grow up quickly here.  In New Hampshire there is no law or rule allowing a minor to seek emancipation, which is what would be required for her to leave the house.  A child there is considered to be emancipated at the age of 18.  A child will also be considered to be emancipated when the child marries or enters the armed forces or military academy.  These things would require the parent or guardian’s permission before the child turns 18. I might suggest that everyone get some counsseling in order to deal with the emotions and feelings that are running around there.  And I am sure that there are many.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption