Can a 16 year old girl file a police report against her guardian if she is afraid of them?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 16 year old girl file a police report against her guardian if she is afraid of them?

I have a sister who lives with my uncle and I have moved out. Well my sister has had enough of his crap and wants to get out. He has threatened her and got in her face and scared her. She has called the cops but they did not take her word. My uncle who has custody of her made her go back to him. What are her options on getting out of this bad situation she is in and filing a police report against him?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a genuine fear that your sister is in a bad siutation with her guardian (your uncle) and believe that she may be harmed, you should file a police report about the situation. If you are still a minor and are in school, you should consult with one of your school's conselors about your concerns for your sister's welfare.

Another option for you would be to go directly to your county's district attorney's office and file a report concerning your sister's situation of you are genuinely concerned for her safety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption