Can a 16 year-old move out without parental consent?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 16 year-old move out without parental consent?

I’m currently living alone with my single father. I have a question in regards to legally moving out without the consent of my father?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you can not move out unless you are of legal age - 18 - or emancipated.  I say that because it is the law.  If there are other reasons that you wish to move out - like safety reasons - then you should find a place and an adult that you feel safe with, go to them/there and then get the best help for the situation.  If the adult will file for temporary guardianship and file charges against you parent that would be best.  But in the general sense of the matter you are are a minor until you are 18 and until that time you are deemed under the control of your parents or parent.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption