Can I call in for my daughter regarding setting a court date for a divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I call in for my daughter regarding setting a court date for a divorce?

My daughter is in South Korea. She is filing for divorce in the U.S. She wants me

to call the court and schedule a court date, claiming that I am her, so when she returns from Korea in 2 months she can go to the divorce proceedings. Can I get in trouble for this?

Asked on March 16, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can't get in trouble (so long as you don't lie to the court), but the court probably won't--and isn't supposed to--talk to you about this or let you set the date. Only the party herself (your daughter) or her attorney can do anything in court (or with the court, by phone) about her divorce; other people, even parents, cannot. Your daughter should retain an attorney to help her with all aspects of her divorce, including scheduling.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption