What us a utility’s legal duty to provide adequate warning of a dangerous condition?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What us a utility’s legal duty to provide adequate warning of a dangerous condition?

A cable provider parked their truck along the right side of a road in a gated community in. The workers ran a cable on the ground and across the road without posting any warnings. My friend was riding her bike home. She saw the truck and a car that had parked on the other side of the road. As she turned left to go around the truck, she struck the cable, which she hadn’t seen or been forewarned of. A crash ensued, causing injuries. Now she is likely going to have to have back surgery for a herniated disc. She didn’t see the cable before striking it and then hitting the


Asked on August 14, 2017 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They don't have a specific, utility-related duty, but are subject to the same duty that all persons and businesses have to take reasonable care to avoid foreseeable (logical or predictable) risks. That a cable across the road could impede a bicycle, trip a jogger or pedestrian, etc. appears to be foreseeable; reasonable stesp they should have taken include putting cones by the cable to draw attention to it, posting warning signs up, having a flagman (or -woman) warning people, etc. Since there was what appears to be a foreseeable risk and also reasonable, common steps which could have been taken to mitigate such risk, the failure to do so may well have been negligent, or unreasonably careless, and your friend may be able to sue for compensation. She should speak with a personal injury attorney to explore this option. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption