What’s my next step if, on my way to work, my cab driver crashed into the curve as he was trying to get into my company’s parking lot and I was injured?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s my next step if, on my way to work, my cab driver crashed into the curve as he was trying to get into my company’s parking lot and I was injured?

My mind went blank and a police report wasn’t made until after, however driver wasn’t there. I filed a complaint to the company and made a police report. Other than that I have to wait 2 to 3 business days to hear from anyone. How do I go about suing the company and driver?

Asked on May 5, 2017 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your next step in suing is to file a lawsuit. If you believe that the driver was driving negligently, or carelessly, and that is what caused the accident (since he and/or the cab company would only be liable if he was at fault in causing the accident), you can file a lawsuit for your out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance, etc.) medical costs, wages lost due to the accident (if any), and--IF you have suffered significant impairment or disability or disfigurement lasting many weeks or longer--some amount for "pain and suffering." You would sue the at-fault driver himself; the cab company (his employer) if separate from him, since an employer can be liable for employee negligence; and if the cab is owned by yet another person or business, the owner, too (since a vehicle owner can be liable when those he/she/it permits to drive are at fault in causing injuries).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption