Buying a buiding with Husband how do I protect myself if we were to divorce?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Buying a buiding with Husband how do I protect myself if we were to divorce?

My husband of 15yrs owns a company. We own a home in PA. We are buying a building jointly to house the company and setting up an LLC to own it(which we have guaranteed personally with a H/E loan from house and and loc from company). The company will pay rent to LLC without a written agreement. My husband has contacts to give him advice..I want to know how to protect mysef financially if we were to get a divirce so he cant scimp in alamony as our marriage has been going through a rough patch.I currently work for him p/t with no salary.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you should discuss this with a local divorce lawyer.  I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, and the divorce laws are different from one state to another; even more importantly, you can't get reliable advice unless it's based on all of the facts of the case.  The details do matter!  One place to find counsel is our website,

The law in most states doesn't pay much attention to the names on the assets or debts, or the form of business entity if it's owned entirely by one or both of the parties, as long as the asset or debt was gotten during the marriage.  So, how the building purchase, and the loans you're taking out to do it, should all be "in the pot," and if the end result of all of this is a larger bottom-line income than leaving the business where it is, then you should get your share of that in the event of a divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption