What to do if a “Buy Here/Pay Here” dealership has gone out of business and left me with no form to pay the owner?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a “Buy Here/Pay Here” dealership has gone out of business and left me with no form to pay the owner?

I have a vehicle that has a lien on it with the old business name and now I am getting called from a former employee of the that dealership asking for payments. I don’t know whom to trust as I have noting in writing. I called the DMV and was told that person was authorized to work with former business customers even though he is not the owner and that no assurance could be given to clear the lean when paid off. I am lost with questions.

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a business attorney in your locality to ascertain who is the person that you are to be making payments to for your vehicle since the dealership is now out of business. You do not want to make payments to someone who is not entitled to the payments. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption