Business ruined my car, hasn’t refunded me

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Business ruined my car, hasn’t refunded me

I had a vehicle wrap done by an independent business owner on my Nissan GTR for $5000. The job was extremely horrible, and the wrap didn’t cover the entire car, it was already peeling/bubbling. I asked for a refund. He agreed he has done a poor job and confessed to rushing it. I spent a week removing the poorly-done wrap job and discovered deep blade marks all over the body of my car. I was furious and made him aware of this. I gave him a month to repay my fully, and haven’t seen a penny back. What can I do or say to speed up the process?

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless you sue him and win, it is completely voluntary on his part whether to compensate you or not. Therefore, the only way to move the process along if he is not paying voluntarily is to sue him. (If the business is an LLC or corporation, you sue the business; if not, you sue the owner personally.) Since anyone who negligently (unreasonably carelessly) damages your property (including a car) is liable (or financially responsible) for the cost to repair it, you would sue him for negligent property damage. If you already paid him for the vehicle wrap, since it was not done to acceptable standards, you would also sue him for breach of contract (not providing an acceptable wrap in exchange for your payment) to get your money back; so you can sue for a refund and for the repair cost. If the amount in total is equal to or less than the limit for small claims court, sue in small claims, as your own attorney ("pro se") to save on legal fees; otherwise, retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption