Breaking a lease in TX?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Breaking a lease in TX?

Myself and my children moved into a home about 4 months ago. My children are biracial and we have been constantly harassed since moving into this house. At the community pool my children have been told you don’t belong here, someone rang our doorbell saying he didn’t appreciate us living on his street and it would be best for us to move. Since then when we go away on weekends and come home there’s trash littered throughout the lawn, our HOA is constantly being called saying we’re having loud parties and loud music coming from our house meanwhile we’ve never had one guest over. The harassment has just gotten too much and I no longer want to live here. When I spoke to the property manager he offered a buyout where I could pay 4 months rent and then we would be able to get out of

our lease. My rent is $4000 a month so that kind of money I just don’t have laying around. Isn’t there some type of law to protect us from this? Do we have to live out our lease in this miserable existence?

Asked on July 25, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF you can show the property manager or the unit owner (assuming they are not one and the same) is causing or even allowing this wrongful, hateful behavior, you could very likely break your lease without penalty: landlords owe their tenants "quiet enjoyment," or the right to use their rental property without undue disruption, and are also prohibited by law from discriminating on racial grounds. So if the landlord, property manager, or unit owner is him-, her-, themselves involved, you can likely escape the lease and may even be able to bring a legal complaint or action for housing discrimination  to get compensation, too. If this is the case, contact HUD about the discrimination and/or speak with a landlord-tenant or civil-rights lawyer about possibly suing.
However, where you may have a problem is that a landlord, etc. is only liable for things under his or her control. If the landlord, etc. is not harassing you, and the people who are harassing you are not this landlord's tenants, the landlord (or property manager, etc.) is not responsible for their behavior, and the acts do not provide a legal basis to get out of your lease.
(If some of them are his tenants, however, and he refuses to take steps to try to rein them in, that could provide enough of a connection to you to allow you to break the lease; in this case, the landlord is not taking steps, such as threatening or bringing eviction actons against the other tenants for their "disorderly conduct," to secure you the quiet enjoyment to which you are entitled.)
The above said, HUD tends to be aggressive about bringing actions based on housing discrimination. Even if the people harassing your family are not connected to, under the control of, etc. your landlord, you might tell the property manager that if you are not allowed out without penalty, you will file a housing complaint with HUD for racial discrimination in housing: it may be that the property manager or landlord will choose to let you out of the lease rather than deal with HUD, since even if the landlord/property manager were to ultimately win because their fault could not be proven, a HUD investigaton can be distracting, time-consuming, and expensive to deal with; the threat of HUD may give you leverage.
Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption