Breach of Contract

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Breach of Contract

I’m wanting to leave my current job on December 22 and I’ve given resignation notice asking my date be set for that. I’ve already been offered a job by another at-will company that I’m set begin in the new year. My contract states ‘There shall be no penalty for release or resignation by the Employee from this contract provided no resignation shall become effective until the close of the school year unless accepted by the Board of ESU 15 and the Board shall fix the time at which the resignation is to take effect.’ What legal grounds do they have if I simply walk away after that requested date? No where in my contract does it states penalties, nor is there any non-compete clause.

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you breach any contract, including an employment one, the other party can sue you for its "damages"--for costs or losses they can prove your violation caused. For example--and apologies if this factually does not make sense; it is only for purposes of illustration--say that you are a teacher and earn the equivalent of $20/hour. Say that if you leave mid-year, they have to hire a substitute or new teacher and pay the equivalent of $25/hour for that person. In that case, the could get $5/hour x the number of remaining teacher hours in the school year from you. Even when there are no stated penalties, they can get provable losses like these; if there are no provable losses, however, they could not recover anything from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption