Bounced paycheck

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Bounced paycheck

I’m a waitress, my employer paid me two checks both were late. I cashed the checks at a gas station, but they bounced and the gas station is saying they will call the police and send a copy of the checks to them. I went to work and they have closed their doors, a eviction notice was taped to the door. I don’t know what to do as I can’t pay the gas station back and I’m unable to reach the owner.

Asked on June 20, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to repay the gas station--you received money from them in exchange for checks, but the checks were bad and so they did not receive what you promised them in exchange for the money. Try to work out a payment plan (e.g. payment over time) you can afford to resolve the matter with them.
You could sue the employer if it was an LLC or corporation and still exists, but if it is shut down and has no money (which is likely the case), you won't get anything: a lawsuit does not make money appear where there is none. 
If the employer was a sole proprietor (e.g. not an LLC or corporation) you can sue him/her personally, if you have or can find a home address: a sole propietor is liable for the debts of his/her business. 
You can and should file for unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption