Bounced employer check

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Bounced employer check

My paycheck was due on Oct. 7th and per the employee handbook, it will be paid the Friday prior if payday lands on the weekend. I have been in communication with the employer almost every day since today is the 17th of October. They stated that they Federal Expressed my check and gave a tracking number. When/if I receive my paycheck and go cash it. What if it bounces? Am I responsible for returning the money I worked hard for?

Asked on October 17, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the check bounces, you have to return the money to the bank: issues between you and your employer do not become the bank's issues, and the bank has nothing to do with your check bouncing--therefore, you cannot keep its funds.
You can sue your employer for the paycheck and also for any additional costs or losses you incurred, such as not sufficient funds (NSF) or bounced check fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption