What to do ifI bought a car that has a lien on it?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifI bought a car that has a lien on it?

I bought a car then I went to DMV but found that i cannot register it. They said that the new title already has been issued and it has a lien on it. The guy who sold it to me is not even the owner. However, I know where he lives and I have his phone number. I told him about the situation. He said he is surprised and he is going to police to report something . What can I do?

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Business Law, Virginia


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you still really want the car, find out all of the details and ensure the seller obtains and transfers good title to the vehicle immediately. However, it sounds like the first step you should take is to get your money back from the "seller" and distance yourlself from this transaction immediately. If he does not have title he has nothing to sell you. He should return your money. Hopefully he will do so willingly, otherwise you might have to pursue other legal options. In that case you should contact a good attorney.

If you suspect that there is some sort of foul play going on here, you might also want to report it to your police or prosecutor's office. There could be issues of fraud or other unlawful conduct.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption