What are our rights if we bought a car and the motor wentout 4 days later?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if we bought a car and the motor wentout 4 days later?

We bought a car from a car dealer and the motor went up 4 days later. They said they would replace the motor and we have been waiting over 3 weeks for the car to be returned. We have already had to make our 1st car payment on a car we had for 4 days. We ask them everyday when we will get the car back and they keep saying a couple more days. Is there anything we can do about this?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under General Practice, Maryland


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Three weeks is a long time to hold the car.  You have several options, including demanding in writing (certified mail/return receipt) repair of the car when x days.  You can also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Maryland Attorney General -- Consumer Protection Division  at oag.state.md.us/consumer.

Finally, you can sue for breach of contract to rescind the agreement and obtain your money back as well as other damages. 

The options are not mutually exclusive. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption