If both of my parents died and I’m a minor, can I get any of their Social Security?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If both of my parents died and I’m a minor, can I get any of their Social Security?

My mom died a long time ago and my dad moved in with my uncle. My aunt, uncle, and father abused me. When I was 14 I told a teacher and DSS transferred custody to my cousin. My dad died when I was 16, and I’ll be 18 in about 6 months. I was wondering if I can draw their social security money or can I get money from them being dead? I really need it for college.

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have been through a lot in your short life and you should be very proud that you have come so far and are looking toward college and a better futire.  Now, I do not know what has happened with support in the past when you were placed with your cousin.  Minors of deceased parents can indeed collect Social Security if your parent would have been entitled to them or they worked long enough to pay in to social security (social security taxes).  Now, here is the thing: benefits generally end when you turn 18.  What you need to find out is if you can apply for Child Survivor Benefits now - before you are 18 and ask for retroactive benefits. I believe that you can receive them for one year prior and that is all under the law but the social security benefit office will know.  But again, please go down NOW before you are 18.  Here is a link to read.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption