hat can I do if my boss is spreading lies about me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

hat can I do if my boss is spreading lies about me?

I work as a server and had some legal trouble. I am working out the details, as video shows that I did not do what they are accusing me of. One of my managers and his manager are openly talking about my case and how I beat someone for more than 10 minutes after they were unconscious. This is not true. This is making my working environment uncomfortable. Also, no one is willing to step up and say they heard any of this for fear of losing their job. HR will not hear my complaint with having statements first. They will not go to my co-workers; I have to do the leg work. I am looking for a new job but really what else can I do?

Asked on November 28, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If someone, including a supervisor, is making untrue factual statements about you which damage your reputation (basically spreading lies which make you look bad), you could sue them for defamation, seeking a court order that they stop and/or monetary compensation. You would sue the people doing this personally, not your employer; since spreading lies about you or damaging your reputation is NOT part of these person's jobs, the employer is not responsible for this. If you want to explore this option, consult with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption