If my biological father only left me a dollar, is there any action I can take?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my biological father only left me a dollar, is there any action I can take?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the state in which you live, you can file a will contest. In New Jersey, you can contest the will if there is a suggestion of an unnatural disposition and a confidential relationship with the person who received most of the estate. Your father leaving you one dollar is an unnatural disposition. Presumably, whomever received the bulk of the estate has some form of a confidential relationship. Confidential just means, in this context, a close relationship.

Please note that most jurisdictions, including New Jersey, you have a time limit in which you must file its application or you may be forever barred.

You should speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law.

 Good luck.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.

187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F

Nutley, NJ 07110



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption