Beneficiary Payments for Life Insurance

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Beneficiary Payments for Life Insurance

My husband and I paid life insurance premiums for over 20 years. He died in June. On July 15, 2019 all required documents were received by Transamerica Life Insurance Company. It has been 3 months now and I have not received any money.

Asked on October 15, 2019 under Insurance Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the insurer for breach of contract (violating the terms of the insurance policy, which is a contract, to pay under these circumstances) and also for "breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing" (the obligation on each party to a contract to not act in such way as to deprice the other party of the benefit of the contract). A lawsuit would be the only way to move things along, if they drag their heels.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption