UPDATED: Aug 13, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


What happens when a beneficiary dies on a will
my father was on a will put passed before my
grandmother died

Asked on August 13, 2019 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what the will said. The will could have been written so that the descendents (children, grandchildren, etc.) of the beneficiary will inherit if the beneficiary passed way before the "testator" (person making the will)--in that case, it will often say that the beneficiary's share was left to him "per stirpes," which means that if he passes away, his own heirs and beneficiaries will split his share. Or the will can be written so that if a beneficiary predeceases (dies before) the testator, their share goes to someone else, such as another beneficiary or a charity. It depends entirely on what the will says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption