Before we are even divorced, can my husband remove me for the car and medical insurance?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Before we are even divorced, can my husband remove me for the car and medical insurance?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Family Law, Illinois


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Technically he can.  However, you can file a motion to require him to contribute to "Marital Expenses", which would be you car insurance and medical insurance.  If your motion is granted, the Court may require him to pay for your insurance.  You should have equal access to the marital funds, so in theory you can also secure your own insurance using the marital funds.  However, it would probably cost much more seperately, and you would be hurting both parties financially if you were to do that.


For more information on marital property, visit my website at:

David Lee

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption