What to do if I was not paid what I was originally told and for a disparity in salariesbetween men and woman doing the same job?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was not paid what I was originally told and for a disparity in salariesbetween men and woman doing the same job?

I’ve worked for a consulting firm for 2 years. I was offered a salary $4K lower than the lowest level of what I’d originally been told was the range. At the time, I was told that it was because of where I lived. A male colleague was recruited 1 week later to do the same job as me and he’s paid a base of $12K per year more than I. I accepted the position because I was guaranteed an annual bonus which made up the shortfall. This was never paid. We were paid a token one-off amount at the 2 year mark. Now they’ve just redesigned the comm structure and we’ll make next to nil. Any recourse here?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Colorado


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good morning,

Thanks for posting to our website and I hope to offer some guidance. To get right to it  when you agree to a salary you cannot legally pursue the employer if you are unhappy as you assumably signed an offer letter or some form of acceptance. If the bonus was a part of the contract they will have to pay, if it is considered something of an incentive and not a guarantee again no legal recourse.

With regard to the sex disparity while there may be an explanation, as you may not know the other employees credentials or it may be that he negotiated more, so the reality is it is probably not a legal matter. If you notice a trend it would be something you may want to address with an attorney. This matter if you pursued it would require an attorney and often times the initial consult is free. So I would urge you to have a consult and then decide if it is a matter you want to pursue or if there is anything worth pursuing.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption