Background check failure

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Background check failure

I was recently denied employment at a local jail due to my background check. I asked if I could know what information on the check lead to the denial of

employment. They informed me that they could not give me that information. What can I do to find out? I thought I could dispute info on the check if I felt it to be inaccurate. Now they refuse to call me back and sent a letter that only stated that I was no longer being considered for employment.

Asked on September 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, if disqulified due to your criminal background--or alleged/claimed criminal background--they have to tell you that is the reason and give you a copy of the report. But that's the only information they'd have to share--not reviews from past employers, for example, or anything that came up from simply "Googling" you. However, bear in mind that employment is employment at will: even if you were to dispute any negative information you became aware of, they do not have to change their mind and don't have to hire you; there is no right to a job or to be hired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption