What to do if I was fired for stealing $200 about 9 months ago and now have to go to court?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired for stealing $200 about 9 months ago and now have to go to court?

I just recently found out that there was a warrant out against me because of this, so I called and asked how I could settle it. They informed me that I had to pay $640. So I did but they served the warrant and gave me a court date. When I go, what am I to expect if I plead guilty? I’m 27 and this is my first offense in my life. How can I go about resolving this matter? I have a great job and the start of a family.

Asked on September 17, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok so you made a mistake and you realize that and now it is time to make it right.  You need to hire an attorney.  May I ask: to WHOM did you pay the $640?  Was it to your employer?  You should never have paid that if it were.  You can only be obligated to make restitution for what you actually stole.  Have the lawyer write to the employer about the funds.  Have the lawyer go to court with you and see if there is a Petty larceny diversion program.  If the court allows you to enter it. then do the program and stay clean and I am sure that you will be given an ACD (adjournment contemplating dismissal).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption